Sex is an important part of life for a large part of the adult population. But not everyone enjoys as much as they would like to. This can be for many different reasons and relationship issues, low self-esteem and depression can all be causes. For that reason, it is important that they are treated once they are detected. So, in this article we will look at how to recognize if you suffer from male erectile dysfunction and what to do if it happens.
What is male erectile dysfunction?
Male erectile dysfunction, also called erectile dysfunction, is the inability to maintain an erection for the time needed to successfully enjoy sexual intercourse.
It is a problem that has been taboo throughout history, although paradoxically there are many men who suffer from it. It would be good to distinguish between a timing issue and something that happens frequently or even every time you try to have sex.
Sexual impotence is physical, that is, you can have an intense desire to have a sexual encounter, but either you do not get an erection, or it does not stay up to complete the sexual act.
What are the reasons for male erectile dysfunction?
There are various causes that can cause impotence, some are physical, and others are emotional or mental. Let’s have a look at the main ones:
- Age. Age is a determining factor. According to some studies, from the age of 60, up to 40% of men suffer from erectile dysfunction. While after the age of 70 the number of affected rises above 50%. More than 52% of men in their 40’s, experience erectile dysfunction. 25% under 40 start experiencing ED symptoms.
- Blood circulation. Different diseases which because circulatory problems can prevent enough blood from reaching the penis, therefore preventing an erection from occurring.
- Psychological causes. One of the most common reasons for erectile dysfunction. are psychological problems, from depression to stress. For example, in the latter case, when you have a state of tension, blood cortisol levels increase. The increase in this hormone causes your body to be prepared to overcome a stressful situation, however, at the same time it means that an erection cannot be achieved.
- Medication. There are some medicines that directly cause erection problems. For example, those used for hypertension. This is because as they lower the tension they also reduce the blood flow. Something that, as we saw in the previous point, causes less blood to reach the penis and that is why it is difficult to achieve an erection
- Drugs and alcohol. Drug and alcohol abuse are never good, including in this case. In fact, contrary to popular belief, it´s consumption is one of the most common causes of erectile dysfunction.
- Unknown origin. Sometimes the origin of impotence is unknown, there may not be one, or the doctor treating it doesn’t manage to find out the reason. In these cases, it is usually more difficult to find the right treatment
How do you know if you suffer from erectile dysfunction?
It is difficult to admit that you suffer from sexual impotence, not only with your partner, friends and with the doctor, but also to yourself. Although, as we said before, it is a taboo subject, almost all men, if not the totality, have suffered a case of occasional impotence in their lives, or perhaps more than once.
Of course, having one or two episodes does not require saying that you suffer from sexual impotence. But beware, you must be very careful here. There is a point that we did not mention in the previous section, but that can also be the cause of impotence, having an episode in itself.
This reason may have left you a little confused, so we will explain below what we mean by this. When you suffer one or more episodes of impotence and you start to think about this issue, you may be convinced that you have erectile dysfunction, and then you are unable to achieve an erection. Try to prevent this from happening to you.
One way to know if you suffer from erectile dysfunction is to try to sexually stimulate yourself, if you are healthy and everything goes well, you will get an erection without a problem. If you do not get it, and this happens for a few days or weeks, and you do not get an erection, you probably have a problem. What to do? The next section will show you.